'Awards for Excellence' recognise Qld's finest in hospitality
The Savour Australia Restaurant & Catering HOSTPLUS Awards for Excellence took place in Brisbane last week (8 September) to celebrate the best restaurateurs, caterers and café operators in Queensland.
The only turf war on display on th night was the one on the plate, as local regions put their rivalries aside to celebrate their industry in the sunshine state.
Far North Queensland, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Darling Downs and Brisbane competed for the hotly contested prize.
More than 230 restaurants competed in 62 categories, which showcased the finest and most diverse cuisines in the nation.
The major awards were picked up by:
- Lure in Port Douglas won the Consumer Vote Award in Northern Queensland;
- Hatsuhana Restaurant in Main Beach claimed the Consumer Vote Award in South East Queensland;
- Salsa Bar & Grill took home the Caterer of The Year Award for Northern Queensland;
- Customs House in Brisbane picked up Caterer of The Year for South East Queensland;
- Jam Corner of Townsville won Restaurant of the Year in Northern Queensland;
- Videre Restaurant – RACV Royal Pines Restaurant in Benowa was awarded the Restaurant of the Year on the Gold Coast;
- Pitchfork Restaurant on Peregian Beach took home the Restaurant of the Year for the Sunshine Coast;
- Black Hide Steakhouse by Gambaro at Petrie Terrace earned themselves the Restaurant of the Year award for Brisbane/Darling Downs.
South Townsville's Jam Corner was the star of the night taking home not only the Restaurant of the Year for Northern Queensland, but also awards for Breakfast Restaurant and Contemporary Australian Restaurant respectively.
The awards' host The Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre, not only had the pleasure of throwing the event, but were also congratulated for their forward thinking and initiative in the hospitality industry with the Social Media award for Catering.
Multiple awards winners included Pitchfork Restaurant in Peregian Beach on the Sunshine Coast, which took home the Contemporary Australian Restaurant – Informal to accompany its major award.
Videre Restaurant - RACV Royal Pines Restaurants was awarded Restaurant in a Hotel/Motel/Resort in South East Queensland, in addition to its major award Restaurant of the Year on the Gold Coast.
Black Hide Steakhouse by Gambaro (Petrie Terrace) also claimed not only the Restaurant of the Year for Brisbane/Darling Downs, but also the best Steak Restaurant in South East Queensland.
Restaurant & Catering CEO John Hart congratulated all of the winners, especially those who went home with numerous plates to demonstrate professionalism and excellence in their field.
"The winners should be proud that they have excelled in a rigorous system, where nothing goes unnoticed," said Hart.
Chair Judge Kate McGhie says the Savour AustraliaTM Restaurant & Catering HOSTPLUS Awards for Excellence is important to acknowledge and celebrate excellence in food and service standards.
"The Awards for Excellence look at the entire dining experience, rather than a single food or service dimension," said McGhie.
The winning businesses will now compete at the National Savour Australia Restaurant & Catering HOSTPLUS Awards for Excellence to be held at Peninsula Docklands on Monday 27th October 2014.
Have your say...
The approval of your comment is at the discretion of this article's publisher. Write your comment with the following in mind to ensure the highest likelihood of it being approved:
- No promotional undertones
- No use of profanity
- Good spelling, grammar and layout
- Check punctuation, language and missing words
- No use of aggression
- No unsubstantiated claims
We reserve the right to remove comments at our discretion.
Your name is used alongside Comments.